- Three $1,000 scholarships will be awarded to different people each year:
- a current enlisted member of the Arizona National Guard
- a current officer member of the Arizona National Guard that is also a member of the National Guard Association of Arizona (NGAAZ)
- a dependent (child or spouse) of a member of NGAAZ
- These scholarships will be dependent on NGAAZ having available funding for the scholarships in the scholarship fund. The amounts may be increased or decreased by NGAAZ on an annual basis with notification given for the scholarship change amount announced NLT the Annual State NGAAZ conference for the following school year.
- $1,000 will be awarded for the school year the scholarship is awarded
- The award is a one-time award and an individual may not re-apply once awarded
- Enlisted (including SMP cadets or candidates for OCS/WOCS) applicants must be a current active drilling (not ING) enlisted member in good standing of either the Army or Air National Guard of Arizona (verified by memorandum from the first commander in the chain of command)
- Officer applicants must be a current active drilling (not ING) commissioned or warrant officer member in good standing of either the Army or Air National Guard of Arizona (verified by memorandum from first commander in the chain of command). Officer applicants must also be a current dues paying member of the NGAAZ at the time of application
- Dependent applicant must be a spouse or child (natural, adopted, step, or foster) of either a current active drilling commissioned or warrant officer member (not OCS/WOCS candidate or SMP cadet) in good standing or retired commissioned or warrant officer member of the Arizona Army or Air National Guard (verified by memorandum from first commander in the chain of command or retirement order) who is a current dues paying member of the NGAAZ at the time of scholarship application
- Mobilization does not affect awardees’ eligibility. The scholarship awardees will be able to defer receipt of the award until their return from mobilization; however, they will still be required to maintain their membership in the Arizona National Guard to receive the scholarship unless discharged medically for injuries or wounds received while mobilized
- An applicant can only be awarded one scholarship, even if they meet the eligibility requirements for multiple categories. NGAAZ will determine which category to award the scholarship, if the applicant applies in multiple categories
- Student must be enrolled full-time (12 semester hour minimum) at a college, university, or community college that is accredited as defined by the State Education office
- NGAAZ employees, current NGAAZ board members, and their family members are ineligible
- Applicants will submit the completed application, two letters of recommendation from instructors or employers, and the verification of good standing memorandum from the first commander in the chain of command regarding applicant’s (enlisted or officer applicants) or parent/spouse’s (dependent applicants) status (or retirement order for NGAAZ member dependent applicants) in the Arizona National Guard to arrive NLT 1 April for the upcoming school year.
- Send to: NGAAZ, Attn: LTC Michael Warren Memorial Scholarship Committee 5640 East McDowell Road, Phoenix, AZ 85008
- NGAAZ Scholarship Committee will review all applications and develop an order of merit list in the event any selectees become ineligible prior to the fall semester
- The selectees will be announced at the State Conference each year. Checks will be presented to the selectees once proof of full-time registration for the fall semester is received by the NGAAZ
- In the event no applications meeting the minimum qualifications are received for the current calendar year in a category, no scholarship will be given in that category
- NGAAZ has the right to select no awardee if fewer than five (5) applications meeting the minimum requirements in a single category are received by the due date. NGAAZ may elect to award two (2) scholarships in a single category if more than 20 applications meeting the minimum requirements are received in one category and no scholarship is awarded in one of the other categories.
- All applications remain become property of the NGAAZ, will not be disseminated beyond the NGAAZ Scholarship Committee, and will not be used for any purpose other than determining the scholarship Order of Merit Listing.
Scholarship Selection Committee
After the application deadline has passed, the Scholarship Committee will review the applications and make the selections. The committee will consist of:
- Two NGAAZ Board members, one Army, and one Air, selected by the NGAAZ President
- Scholarship Committee Chair for NGAAZ
- Executive Director for NGAAZ (non-voting)
The selection committee will review applicants based on grade point average (25%), financial need (30%), National Guard philosophy/knowledge (15%), community service (15%) and letters of recommendation (15%).
The scholarship winners in each category will be announced and recognized at the Annual Meeting of the Members of NGAAZ.